YT Addict

Default Puppy training starts with who's holding the leash

This article appeared in the New Orleans Times Picayune today:
Puppy training starts with who's holding the leash
Pet owners often expect too much too soon, experts say

Tuesday, February 21, 2006
By Joan Lowell Smith
Newhouse News Service

So you have a new puppy. Chances are he sits when you say "come," stands when you say "sit," and rolls over when you say "stay." But how can puppies know what's expected of them unless you teach them? Top trainers and behaviorists fill in where we fail to "take the lead." "With 10 million dogs in shelters, and dog bites up 47 percent, we are witnessing a cataclysmic failure of people to train dogs," says Jon Katz of Montclair, N.J., author of "Katz on Dogs" (Villard, $24.95). "Dogs went for years without needing Zoloft. Why do people have so much trouble training them?"
Sarah Wilson -- who, with her husband, nationally known trainer and author Brian Kilcommons, is half of a dog-training couple -- says she knows exactly where the blame lies. "It's not the collar. It's not the leash. It's who is holding the leash," she says, referring to dog owners who toss in the towel and drop Fido at the nearest shelter.
David Frei, communication director of Westminster Kennel Club and host of Westminster's televised dog show, shares this view.
"For training to have meaning, the human needs to educate himself before the dog ever arrives. Be sure to find a dog that matches your lifestyle. Do the homework. Then, once you get your dog, training can be designed to help your dog fit your lifestyle with realistic expectations and a little bit of give-and-take on both sides."
Training should be fun and should begin immediately, Kilcommons adds.
"Train (the) pup right away, as soon as you bring him in the door," he says. "Stay calm and patient. Before you do anything else, get him outside right away on a leash. Don't offer treats. Don't talk. Just take him to a convenient spot. Then as soon as he 'goes,' praise him lavishly, saying something like, 'Good dog . . . that was great.' "
Wilson, who has a master's degree in psychology, always says "hurry, hurry" when a dog performs bodily functions. "As soon as she goes, I'll say, 'Good girl, you're a smart puppy,' and repeat the "hurry, hurry" command whenever I want her to go outside. They catch on quickly."
Though their methodology usually gets results after five to six months of consistent training, timing depends on the individual dog.
"People will walk up to an 8-week-old pup and expect it to sit, or they'll say, 'I grew up with dogs,' as though that makes them experts," Kilcommons says. "I'd like to say, 'I've always had cars, but that doesn't mean I know how to fix them.' "
The couple also says training and caring for a puppy should never be left entirely to a child. "Children cannot care for pets without help," they advise in "Child-Proofing Your Dog." "Caring for a dog can be challenging for adults; it is close to impossible for a child. Many parents acquire the pet in the hopes of instilling responsibility in their child. Caring for a pet can do this with the help of the parents."
Kilcommons and Wilson are opposed to harsh training. "Shaking a can with nails is misused. Dog training should not be like Carmen Miranda shaking maracas. The basic principal is to make wanted behavior comfortable, not to frighten a dog into submission," Kilcommons says.
"My Smart Puppy," a DVD produced by IAMS Smart Puppy Food, portrays the couple's training techniques with 20 pups under 7 months old, to be followed by a jointly authored book of the same name, scheduled for release this fall by Warner Books.
Pia Silvani, director of training and behavior at St. Hubert's in Madison, N.J., also accentuates the positive.
"My general approach is to focus on exactly what I want from a dog through positive training, as opposed to fixing problems through punishment. When you're first training a puppy, there's no excuse for using any form of punishment," she says.
When chastising a pup, she recommends against using any emotion in the rebuff. "By managing the environment and not giving too much freedom too early, you will seldom need to punish," she says.
She notes that many dogs are relinquished to shelters when a baby arrives in her latest book. "Raising Puppies & Kids Together" (www.sthuberts.org, $15), co-authored with fellow trainer Lynn Eckhardt, advises early preparation for a baby's arrival. "If the dog is ruling the roost, not the parents, you can have problems," Silvani says. "You must set boundaries and rules before baby arrives. "We all talk baby talk to our dogs. Say we've been doing it for six years and along comes a baby. The dog is completely confused," Silvani says. "I tell clients the dog is trying to be part of the love and joy. He's heard the same tonality. If anything, hearing the same baby talk can draw them closer."
The authors confront backsliding patterns that commonly occur during early training, supplying proven remedies for crying and shredding paper, clothes or anything else that's tempting. Contrary to popular thought, Silvani says, "He is not being spiteful. He's just being a puppy."
Katz is vehement about the need for proper perspective. "I love dogs as they are. You can change the environment more easily than you can change a dog's basic nature," the author says.
"Dogs are simple creatures that like routine. They're wonderful behavioral mirrors of us, but there's a moral responsibility to train them to become loving companions and not to humanize them," he says. "They're not little people in fur coats. To understand the nature of dogs, you have to respect their 'dogness.'
"To train a dog, you have to be a better human. It's not that dogs don't think, but they don't think like us. Humanizing them is treating them like children. Dogs are noble creatures. I don't understand why people have so much trouble training them. We've got a canine civil war. We're teaching dogs not to be dogs. Training is about teaching a dog how to live in your world."
That may involve crating the puppy, but Kilcommons says it should be only for limited periods.
"Never leave a pup crated for more hours than its age, like three hours max at 3 months," he advises. "When you're home, keep a pup on a leash next to you. Supervising him for just a few months is worth the time and effort to have a well-behaved dog for life."
For bathroom breaks, the maximum a pup can hold it is four hours. "Pups should be taken out within a half-hour of eating. They don't have good muscle control in the first four months," Wilson says. "When a pup makes a mistake, just pick him up and put him out. Never hit or shout, and remember the 'hurry, hurry' command.
"Dogs are much more focused than humans. We're the only thing on their 'Hit Parade,' " she says. "They know us better than we know ourselves. That's why they run when we put on our coat or shoes. They watch our every little move."

TRAINING DO'S AND DON'TS

-- DO start training immediately.

-- DO select a training spot without distractions.

-- DO train in small increments and often rather than in long sessions.

-- DO praise pup for doing well, either by petting or giving a toy or treat -- whatever works.

-- DO chastise misbehavior with a firm but calm voice.

-- DO stay calm. The more fuss a pup makes, the calmer you stay.

-- DO practice what pup has learned consistently at home.

-- DO take pup outside within a half-hour of meals.

-- DO return to what pup does well if he struggles with an exercise.

-- DO end session on positive note and play with him.

-- DON'T train if you are tired, irritable or preoccupied.

-- DON'T train after meals or play, when pups need rest.

-- DON'T blame or punish pup for soiling if he's left too long.

-- DON'T introduce more than one command at a session.

-- DON'T introduce pup to confusing situations, such as dog parks, too soon.

-- DON'T let kids rough-house indoors with pup.

-- DON'T strike, yank or shout at pup.

-- DON'T use crate for punishment.

-- DON'T expect instant results.

-- DON'T leave pup alone for more than four hours.

Sources: "Raising Puppies & Kids Together," by Pia Silvani and Lynn Eckhardt (T.F.H. Publications or www.sthuberts.org, $15; portion of sales go to St. Hubert's animal shelter), and dog trainer Sarah Wilson

HOUSEBREAKING ADVICE

-- Take pup out as soon as he wakes in the morning.

-- Within 30 minutes after breakfast, lunch and dinner (pups need three squares a day), go outside again; praise performance.

-- Take him out every two to four hours during the day.

-- After any excitement or play, take pup outside.

-- When you bring him indoors, allow some home freedom, but if he gets excited again, back outside!

-- Make last trip outside between 10 and 11 p.m. (As pup matures, last trip can be at 9:30.)

-- For the hardy: Take him out in the middle of the night.

-- If a pup makes a mistake, pick him up and put him out. Never hit or shout.

Sources: "Raising Puppies & Kids Together," by Pia Silvani and Lynn Eckhardt (T.F.H. Publications or www.sthuberts.org, $15; portion of sales go to St. Hubert's animal shelter), and dog trainer Sarah Wilson

Join today and remove this ad!