Thread: Safe Age?
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2014, 11:36 AM   #11
theporkieyorkie
YT 1000 Club Member

I know some people like to wait longer. I would say 6-7 months of age is a perfect time.

Spaying and neutering them will hopefully curb other unwanted behaviors for you as well. I have a x-stud dog who thinks the whole house is his to mark. Thank goodness, he doesn't hump everything as well but I know other dogs that have when they've been fixed later in life.

Trying to keep your two puppies separated during a heat cycle would be no small task.
If Molly does happen to go into heat early, you could always arrange for Max to be neutered ASAP and then spay her after her cycle is over.

When you do take them in to get spayed/neutered, make sure you do blood work first. I know a few of the vets I've went to have left blood work optional if the pet is not a senior. Being that anesthesia is risky though, especially in smaller animals, it's best to take all the precautions you can. Someone just posted a great article on here on anesthesia, btw!!

If I were you, I'd probably opt to get both of the furbutts done at once, if possible. That way you are only putting yourself through the stress once and both of them can take it easy and recover together at the same time.
theporkieyorkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!