View Single Post
Old 03-25-2014, 10:47 AM   #35
gemy
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member

That article was very interesting and I thank 107Barney for posting it. If you live long enough, you will hear of the "rare" and they are rare mishaps and even deaths from anaesthesia.

As the health care guardian and decision maker for your dog, you need to understand the risks of surgery, but also the risks of not proceeding ahead with the surgery.

I liked how that article elaborated the different protocols for the "sighthounds" and the snub nosed breeds, as this is quite common knowledge that these dogs do have issues with anaesthesia.

Sadly there was a friend of mine who lost a young 18 month old BRT to anaesthesia reaction, it was irreversible hypothermia. He went in for a "benign" procedure, and yes all pre op blood work was done, as well he passed his cardiac test, his expanded Thyroid test, etc.
He died in the recovery room at Univ of Penn hospital.

It was devastating for her, but 2yrs later, she needed to go into surgery again with her older dog, for a necessary procedure, and so she did. Thankfully her dog did very well indeed, and she of course was very relieved.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!