View Single Post
Old 03-23-2014, 11:00 AM   #1
Matthias
Currently Suspended!

Question Help! Do All Aging Yorkies Go Blind?

After my mom died, I took care of her baby girl Princess for another 3 years. And I knew Princess since she was a little puppy about 9 weeks old and have been in her life almost every day it seems. In the 10 months to 1 year before she died, she went from starting to go blind to what seems, full blind.

Now her brother of a different litter, but same mother will be 14 years old in a little under 3 months. He's going blind. I saw this in the last month or two, maybe longer. It's bright and sunny here and he just came from outside and walking in the kitchen, he walked square into his water dish.

Now I'll tell you, I've shed way too many tears for Princess and now Timothy, her brother, watching them go through this. It doesn't seem fair. It hurts tremendously.

I don't really need to hear you need to take him to a vet to find the cause, because that is so obvious and wasteful answer. I know, but I am wondering based on your experiences and maybe a hunch, how many things could it be that is making him go blind like his sister did? Is there a name for it? I can't be the only unlucky person whose had 2 aging yorkies that went blind or is going blind.

A simple visit will be $38, but then they will have test$. Then through all that, all they will do is recommend someone else for surgery if it comes down to it. With Princess I could hardly afford surgery without knowing the costs. My main concern with Princess if she were to have surgery, that she would never make it from the anesthesia as I've heard some yorkies not making it.

Now my thoughts are heavily with my almost to be 14 year old baby boy Timothy. He's a kind timid and unique yorkie. Having him in my life has been such a joy and honor. I'm glad God put him into my life. I often call him "Timid Timothy". I'll do the $38 and maybe a test, but there may be a chance to get him to see better again. Is so, I believe I have to give him that chance. Then I'm scared he may not make it through the surgery. So I ponder... Do I let life go as it may?... or try and spend a few thousand to get him the chance to see better again, knowing the surgery may not work and that he may not make it? These are heavy issues that have me upside down.

I have many problems in my life and it always seems like a struggle. To ponder this is yet another thing to worry about. I love my baby boy Timothy quite a bit. I have many good memories of him and I going all over the place and having fun. Now he pretty much stays at home relaxing in his aging years with 2 of his other brothers from another mother.

I know these are decisions I have to make and am not asking you what you would do, although you can reply with such, I'm more looking for similar situations other people went through with their babies and what it was that made their yorkies go blind... and what decision they finally made.

Life it tough, but yorkies make it so much more enjoyable.

Matthias
Matthias is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!