Thread: Hand shy puppy
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2014, 11:30 AM   #1
Pbentley
Yorkie Talker

Default Hand shy puppy

Hello,

This is my first time posting on Yorkie Talk and i was hoping for some sound advice. I picked up Bentley at 17 weeks old , flew out to get him personally, I knew he was older then most puppies leave for there new homes but we were going on a three week holiday and i didn't want to pick him up and then leave him with a stranger so I asked the breeder if she would consider socializing him and I paid an extra 100.00 a week for this service. I knew i was in trouble when she left the hotel room because Bentley howled and would not come near me for over an hour, after which through the plane ride and car ride home he bonded to me and only me. it has been two weeks since he has been home and he will still not let my husband or son(24year old) touch him. He will take a treat from them but if they or anyone else other then me tried to pet him he backs away. Now a couple of days ago he started barking at them when they get home or come down the stairs. His tail is up and he runs over to them barking, once when my son extended his hand to be sniffed Bentley snapped at him. My question is how to proceed without making the situation worse. I have told my husband and son to ignore him when he is barking at them and I tell him no and try to redirect his focus. I have been taking him everywhere I can with me to socialize him. He will go up to people and take a treat from them, but he pulls towards the exit door to leave the store etc. He seems fine with other dogs, a little nervous but otherwise not bad. Any suggestions would be most helpful.
Pbentley is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!