View Single Post
Old 03-19-2014, 08:50 AM   #4
ladyjane
Resident Yorkie Nut Donating YT 20K Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney4u View Post
Sorry I do not know what injection the vet is giving him but it's a course of 4at 1per week, he then is talking about physio, the dog, Barney, is not in any pain and the vet confirmed that he would have none
I am sorry, but your vet is incorrect. Here are some more links to read. I am thinking he is probably giving him adequan and the results of that is purely anecdotal. There is no real evidence that it works.

Please, for the sake of your Barney, read the following links. The fact that he cannot walk on that leg is your first clue it is painful and while he will start using it again (they all do) he will be developing very severe arthritis which will cause him more pain which he will have for the rest of his life.

I am pasting some information from the following links so that it is right here for reading!

Torn Knee Ligament in Dogs | petMD

Cranial cruciate ligament disease , also referred to as the anterior cruciate ligament (ACL), is the sudden (acute) or progressive failure of the cranial cruciate ligament, which results in partial to complete instability of the stifle joint. Cranial cruciate rupture is the tearing of the cranial cruciate ligament; it is the most common cause of rear-leg lameness in dogs and a major cause of degenerative joint disease (progressive and permanent deterioration of joint cartilage) in the stifle joint; rupture may be partial or complete.

http://csu-cvmbs.colostate.edu/Docum...e-ligament.pdf

This combination is not a treatment per se because it does not stabilize the knee. This regimen may allow the knee joint inflammation to subside
somewhat. While the symptoms of lameness and pain may subside with time, attempts to return to normal activity levels will often be limited by the progression of osteoarthritis. In general, we do not advise this therapy as the ideal form of treatment, but it may be appropriate for individual dogs due to some combination of their very small size, inactive lifestyle, other concurrent injuries or diseases, or financial realities.

https://www.acvs.org/small-animal/cr...gament-disease

Many dogs will shift their weight away from the damaged leg when they stand but the lameness is less obvious during walking especially with partial tears of the CCL. When a partially damaged ligament ruptures completely or the meniscus becomes damaged your dog may also become non-weight bearing lame and may hop on three legs. This change in lameness may happen suddenly, usually without major trauma (a minor traumatic event may cause the partially torn ligament to rupture completely). Dogs with chronic (late stages) of CCLD usually show symptoms associated with arthritis, such as:

decreased activity
stiffness
unwillingness to play
pain
ladyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!