View Single Post
Old 03-18-2014, 12:42 PM   #1
matese
Donating YT 3000 Club Member

Default 3 y/o neutered, still aggressive WARNING long post

I have always had females, 2 not spayed, one spayed, all got along together, (6 y/o-3 y/o not spayed then the baby who was spayed at 5 mos. old) all pet & ppl friendly, never growled at one another or any dogs they encountered on lease walks . I was under the impression if a male was neutered they were not aggressive!!! (this is the FIRST male I EVER had)

I adopted Cody 4 months ago, he just turned 3 y/o this month, was neutered when I adopted him (at a young age). I didn't know if he was pet friendly, so I asked a friend of mine that has a 7 y/o (passive) neutered pug could we meet up in a area unfamiliar to both dogs to see how Cody behaved. The meeting didn't go well at all. Cody was a bit aggressive, the more the pug backed away, the more aggressive Cody became. The meet & greet ended before it began. Is Cody aggressive or a lil bully? I say this because the more the pug showed no signs of aggression and just backed away, the more bolder Cody got. ....Pet Supply, what a joy to take my lil boy into that store (I had 3 females that FREAKED OUT the first time I took them in a Pet Supply / Pet Smart store, they reacted like they were at the vets, shaking, quivering, trying to climb out of cart, so out I would take them and in the car they went, never again did I ever take any of my dogs into that type of store again. Cody needed a new coat, I have to try it on him, so I say, wellll let me see how this one reacts) A sheer joy, UNTIL, he saw a young lab that was a very active, happy, friendly pup. male? female? When Cody saw this lab, again, aggression, the barking, growling, trying to climb out of the cart, quiet embarrassing for me as the parent that could not control this BRAT. (this incident happened when I had him about 2 months)......Vet visit, waiting room, parent with an older Cocker Spaniel, male? female? yep, Cody starts the growling, fortunately for me, they were next . I don't know of anyone that has a female dog to see how he would react. So I guess my QUESTION is, can this aggressive behavior be eliminated? If so, how would I go about training him, I certainly do not want to have him meet with another male dog, don’t want to stress the other lil guy out . We have a new dog park, I would LOVE to be able to take him to it to PLAY with other dogs, but even if that is not possible, not being dog friendly can be dangerous if he is going to be challenging other dogs. Unfortunately for me, where I live, dogs escape from their house’s or yards and usually end up at my house where I have to leash them up, walk the community to find their owner. I have a low fenced in back yard 28 inches high, that’s all I ever needed for my girls. I am going to put up a 4 foot high fence when the weather permits (appox. 4 to 6 weeks) when ground is no longer frozen. When he WAS able to use the yard I was with him, as I was with my girls, and will always be with him when he is out. There is still a substantial amount of snow that has turned into ice in the yard, he has been confined to decks only. Soon the snow / ice will be gone and he will have access to the yard, until I get this higher fence up there is the danger of someone’s dog getting loose. I would always put myself between a strange dog and my baby, but sometimes ya just not fast enough. If I can train him OR if anyone (trainer) can train him to not be aggressive or to challenge would give me peace of mind, not just for back yard, dog park, walks, in the car, etc. To me there is nothing attractive about an aggressive dog, no matter what size it is. CAN ANYONE offer suggestion? (No muzzle please).

Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!