View Single Post
Old 03-18-2014, 09:27 AM   #12
BabieChloe
Inactive Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by megansmomma View Post
When you wet the hair that's already tangled it becomes more tangled. That's why you now have tangles to the skin. Puppy coat is very hard to not tangle and is a constant battle. It's good you were able to untangle some of the matts but causing distress or taking hours to accomplish is not creating a positive grooming experience and should be you ultimate goal.

It's been along time since my 3 were puppies but when they were I set out to create a grooming environment where they felt safe and secure. This also transitioned to going to the groomer. My best advice for grooming is to have a routine which includes an area that you always use to groom. I like to use my laundry room and the top of my washer. Others have grooming tables. My point is to train your puppy early on that this is where you brush, comb, groom etc. as not on your lap. It really only takes a few minutes daily to brush out a coat well and address tangles if they are willing to stand still. You will never be able to accomplish this well otherwise.

A really good comb is #2 for their face and those occasional knots
toplinepet.com
My pup isn't that calm yet for me to just put her on top of the laundry machine, she would jump off lol. That's why I can't even put her on the bed because all she wants to do is jump off (she's adventurous lol). The only time I can do this untangling type of grooming is when she is napping, but for regular grooming like cutting nails and a quick brush I can manage to get her to stay still. Since this took longer though I had to wait until she fell asleep in my lap.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!