View Single Post
Old 03-18-2014, 05:55 AM   #10
megansmomma
Donating YT 10K Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabieChloe View Post
I attempted to untangle her hair last night, it took me an hour and a half but I managed to untangle her butt and back legs.. Pheww.. That was a lot of work lol. I wet it with shampoo and water first and rinsed that out then brushed her when she fell asleep. I used a little comb that I have which is double sided and has a flea comb on the other side. Some hair did come out but I don't think those pieces would untangle because they were too knotted up. When you untangle your babies does some hair come out as well.. Or was I just doing it wrong?
When you wet the hair that's already tangled it becomes more tangled. That's why you now have tangles to the skin. Puppy coat is very hard to not tangle and is a constant battle. It's good you were able to untangle some of the matts but causing distress or taking hours to accomplish is not creating a positive grooming experience and should be you ultimate goal.

It's been along time since my 3 were puppies but when they were I set out to create a grooming environment where they felt safe and secure. This also transitioned to going to the groomer. My best advice for grooming is to have a routine which includes an area that you always use to groom. I like to use my laundry room and the top of my washer. Others have grooming tables. My point is to train your puppy early on that this is where you brush, comb, groom etc. as not on your lap. It really only takes a few minutes daily to brush out a coat well and address tangles if they are willing to stand still. You will never be able to accomplish this well otherwise.

A really good comb is #2 for their face and those occasional knots
http://www.toplinepet.com/combs.php

Last edited by megansmomma; 03-18-2014 at 05:58 AM.
megansmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!