View Single Post
Old 03-17-2014, 05:06 PM   #1
KeeganRiley
YT Addict

Default Human error--but Piper pays.

vet400.gif (at the vet--I didn't have time to put their harnesses on them, so they were loosely leashed with ID collars. )

My 8 month old female--Merry Piper--has never stopped acting like she's teething. We keep her contained to safe areas and keep dangerous things out of her reach, but failed twice in that today. My DH left his Trident gum somewhere (I'm not sure where) and the puppy found it when I didn't shut the gate behind me going upstairs. She climbs like a tiny mountain goat and moves fast, but I noticed she had something in her mouth pretty quickly when she crouched in her "I've got a secret" pose. I only managed to retrieve half a stick of gum--no paper and no idea where the rest of the gum might be (if there is more).

Long story short: both pups went to the vet immediately, had their stomachs emptied, and Keegan is fine. Piper's tummy contained no food but bits of her (now-discarded) toy basket, a gum wrapper, and a few things even the vet couldn't identify. We don't know if gum had already passed through the stomach.

She is scheduled for bloodwork in the morning to see how her system is handling the toxin and we have the info for the emergency vet near us (I've heard from a local YorkieTalk-er that they are excellent, and my regular vet seems to agree). I'd just like to ask that anyone who might please send some good thoughts, vibes, prayers, etc. for my sweet little Merry Piper...she doesn't deserve to be ill because both her humans screwed up on exactly the same day.

Xylitol...I have a new hatred for artificial sweeteners.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!