View Single Post
Old 03-17-2014, 11:55 AM   #5
McheleM
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

I don't know about the insurance- I personally don't have any. Can you explain to me why you need it, what its for, is it your state requirement?? My husbands company carries insurance but its required by our contractors on each job in case anything happens on a job site (hes a plumber). We have a separate rider that covers out office and anything stored in it (including my machines and materials)

As for the taxes, in Texas, if you charge sales tax, you have to have a sales tax ID number. Then you have to pay in/file quarterly (because you aren't making over a certain amount each month). Using my sales tax ID, I become tax exempt for items I will use to make the things I sell (ie fabric, thread, needles-pretty much anything I use to make my quilts). I fill out a resale certificate with my information and take it to the places I shop, like Joann's, Hobby Lobby, Hancocks, etc and they do a tax exempt sale for me.
My requirements for sale tax filing and paying in are that when I sale a quilt, I have to have an invoice with a separate line item that is tax. It can not be included in the final lump sum price. I have not started charging my customers sales tax, as I don't want to have to pay in sales tax, although I did have to file my quarterly report for last quarter, but since I collected nothing, I just filed zeros on the report.

Last edited by McheleM; 03-17-2014 at 11:58 AM.
McheleM is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!