View Single Post
Old 03-16-2014, 08:59 AM   #28
yorkietalkjilly
♥ Love My Tibbe! ♥
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyjane View Post
Jeanie, stress takes on many forms. It could be internal as well as external. Gizmo already has a history of pancreatitis and a predisposition to it. He could have just been uncomfortable when I touched him when I was grooming him. It was when I was shaving his belly, so I am thinking it was more that than stress..

I was just making the point that we don't always know what causes pancreatitis. High fat diet definitely will and honestly the Urinary SO that he is on is good for the calcium oxylate stones, but probably more fat than he should have. Why did it get him now? Who knows. I don't make myself crazy over thinking it....it is what it is. I will just change his diet since that is an obvious thing to do. I wrote to the vet nutritionist last night and she responded this morning and she is going to come up with a plan for him.

No, I don't think grooming will cause pancreatitis. I was just saying how stressed he got and he never does that. It was just what I thought of when he got sick the next morning because he had been so upset.
I thought that's what you both meant but just wanted to check with you in case these little guys have such a stress-trigger that maybe something new and stressful could start them down a bad path. I'm glad to hear that just the stress alone likely wouldn't do it all by itself. Still, it's worrisome, isn't it? But it's so hard to tell beforehand when they are having trouble as they are so darn good at masking their problems!!! I also wish they could talk!

Don't beat yourself up and think anymore about it as that won't do any good. If you'd had any idea you wouldn't have continuing grooming him as they are often vocal if they are the least bit stressed by grooming or anything they don't like! Tibbe will yelp out when I just touch him with the scissors or brush him in a way he doesn't like. I've just picked up his foot to grind his toenails and he's yelped because he wasn't ready yet! You didn't know he was feeling bad.

He'll be fine now - he will. Try not to worry anymore.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!