View Single Post
Old 03-12-2014, 01:07 PM   #11
TysonMyBoy
Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkietalkjilly View Post
I've had dogs around, especially large, dominant dogs, who don't care for hugging and are not very comfortable with it, though most that don't like it still tolerate it, unless it's prolonged. Most bigger dogs seem to get somewhat antsy if you sustain a long hug. I think since their species isn't a hugging type species, many of them might see it as an attempt to control or dominate them at first or if done by a stranger to them. But once your dog trusts you, they will accept virtually any behavior from you just because they love you. My little Tibbe tends to not like a long hug but will lie for hours with his back touching me. I think a dog lying touching a human with his back, a very trusting gesture for them, is the same as a hug to a dog.

Here is an article I have read that goes into depth on the subject.

ClickerSolutions Training Articles -- Hugging Your Dog
Oh Jeanie, I'm so happy you said that about a dog laying with his back touching his human. Tyson sleeps like that every night....and now I will always think he is hugging me

Tyson will tolerate a hug from me....but he turns his head away (so I just kiss him)
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!