View Single Post
Old 03-12-2014, 12:51 PM   #3
Britster
Action Jackson ♥
Donating Member

It's never too late to do crate training. But if he's laying in his own pee/poop IN the crate, it won't be useful, obviously. How large is the crate? He shouldn't have enough room to pee on one end and then go lay at the other. Small space (and of course never for TOO long).

How old is Logan?

It's so difficult because I find pad trained dogs to NEVER be 100% reliable. I don't think I've ever heard of anyone with pad trained dogs who doesn't occasionally have accidents (confusing rugs for pads, etc). Which is the main reason I don't do it, plus I find it gross, LOL (I don't like having cats around either, because litter boxes gross me out). I DO understand the appeal though. My 5 year old, Jackson, has been 100% reliable since he was around 8 months old (outdoor trained) and it was fairly easy. It just took a LOT of consistency and scheduling in the beginning. He's had a *few* minor poop accidents, either when he was sick, etc, but I've NEVER come home to an accident in 5 years and he's got free roam when we're gone.

If pad training is absolutely necessary in your situation, then I would possibly get some kind of an ex-pen situation set up. Maybe put the pads inside of the 'fence', so that he has to go IN somewhere to potty, rather than just... having free roam of the house and being able to go whenever he wants. But instead, he would have to 'ask' to go potty by barking at the gate or ringing the bell, etc. Or something cute like this setup: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5072/...a681834d03.jpg

You could also do the tethering technique. It can be annoying, have the dog leashed to you at ALL times when he cannot be watched or crated. That way no accidents can happen (or if they do, it's totally your fault, lol). Do this for a month or so until he's proven to be reliable. Then he can gain a bit more freedom.

Ignore any accidents that have already happened. They don't know what they're being punished for, even if it's only 5 mins later. If you catch him in the ACT, then by all means say 'no' and take him to the place where he's supposed to go. Never use the crate as a punishment.

How much space are you allowing him to have? Does he have free roam of the house while you're home?

Last edited by Britster; 03-12-2014 at 12:54 PM.
Britster is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!