View Single Post
Old 03-10-2014, 10:50 PM   #1
letunstall
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Default Potty Morning Routine - Help me Plan!

Greetings.

I get my new Yorkie in about a week. I live in an apartment and definitely want to do indoor training. I have purchased both pads and a potty patch because I am not sure which one is easier or which one it will be drawn to.

My issue is that I know I will be walking the dog twice a day anyway (once in morning and once in evening). I realize a yorkie puppy needs to go potty probably 6-8 times a day, so two daily walks won't suffice for potty needs. I've trained my previous dogs to go outdoors because I figured they needed exercise anyway and they are naturally drawn to marking and smelling other dogs' scents. However, I'm against the idea of making it hold it all day long.

I do work 9 hours a day (7am to 4pm), but I will be able to break that up by coming home mid day (either between 10 and 11 or between 2-3) or having my maid come by (to either change the pads or walk).

What should my morning routine look like before I go to work?

-wake up
-take to pee pad or potty patch area (my second bathroom is already designated and set up with baby gate)
-eat
-short walk
-put in exercise pen for 5 hours before heading home on my lunch

Please give me your input. Also, I don't want to use a small crate unless the crate is inside the exercise pen or the bathroom (baby gate). I don't want it to get in habit of soiling crate. Also, I realize some people might criticize me for working 9 hours a day and getting a puppy. The good news is I'm a teacher and a homebody, so I get summers and holidays to spend with it.

Last edited by letunstall; 03-10-2014 at 10:54 PM. Reason: add on
letunstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!