Thread: Various Issues
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2014, 11:24 AM   #3
mich_cain
Yorkie Yakker

Sadie will be a year old next month. I have had her since July of last year. We went to puppy class last fall and learned some basic behavioral techniques. She knows the cues backwards and forwards, but pretty much has to have a treat right now to obey. Haven't been able to phase out the treats yet. We got a little out of practice for a few months as she was very sick and throwing up all the time and then had surgery. So we are back to practicing/reinforcing again now that she is recovered.

Thanks for the videos. The one on jumping was very helpful. I will have to do some work. She is learning "stay" pretty quickly as we have been working on that, and she will leave a treat sitting right in front of her for as long as I make her until I give the release word. I just have to get her under control at mealtime. I think I need to work on boundaries. Maybe having her in her kennel with a treat while I eat my dinner until she learns that it is not okay to climb all over me in that situation? I am working on building up her "stay" so that she will stay on her mat while I have something enticing like a bowl full of treats in my lap. I think once we get that down, she will leave me alone.

As far as exercise...She is alone all day in a little room. I am not sure what she does in there, but from the looks of it, she seems to just sleep all day and look out the window and bark as the toys are left undisturbed. As soon as I get home we go outside and play for at least 1/2 hour. I let her run around and chase whatever she wants and we play fetch. It is really cold right now so 1/2 hour is about all I can take outdoors. Then we come in and have our dinner. I also try to play with her some more in the house after we've both had our dinner. We have a little bit of a training session most evenings where we run through the cues we learned in puppy class. Sometimes I try to throw a new one in there. Then the rest of the evening she plays her little heart out in the living room while I watch TV. She usually is still pretty wired when it is time to go to bed, but when I give her the bedtime cue, she is pretty obedient about following me to bed.
mich_cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!