View Single Post
Old 03-06-2014, 10:52 AM   #1
ilovejoel
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Unhappy Not good for Dixon

Almost since we got him he's been a little on the lazy side. I was thinking he was just a mellow puppy. He also has coccidia and was on medicine to get over it and that's why he was lethargic. When he was on the medicine he started acting like a normal puppy again but then he went back to being lethargic.
It was also really hard to get him to eat. The first time he was weighed he was 12.8, a week later we took him in he was 12.
I finally found a way that he would eat a lot, putting hot water and chicken with his food, he gobbles it up.
Well yesterday we noticed he was breathing heavy but I was thinking he was hot or something. Then when we were getting ready for bed and put him in his crate he was acting really uncomfortable and breathing a little faster than before so we decided to take him to the emergency vet.

They did an x-ray and found he has an enlarged heart, twice as big as it should be, and said it could be congenital heart failure. I saw on the x-ray how his heart was right up on his ribs. To top it off he weighed 11.5! Even after he's been eating good, they said it was from his heart problem.
They also said any surgery would make it worse and gave us medicine for him to be more comfortable and said it will either help or make it worse. It's already progressed so fast out of nowhere. We called the breeder and he was nice about it and said he would help with whatever we needed and whatever happens he would give us another puppy(not that we care about that), he talked to his vet and they said the best thing to do is feed him and love him and let nature take it's course But I feel that he's suffering right now, he barely walks and is really uncomfortable, he has another appointment today. We have brought up about putting him to sleep but the breeder says just love him and wait but he's suffering now so I don't know. All this after Rosco too I hope he gets through this

Last edited by ilovejoel; 03-06-2014 at 10:57 AM.
ilovejoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!