Thread: Random Question
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2014, 08:16 PM   #8
Magnus
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KazzyK810 View Post
The sad thing is, people seem to be able to sue for just about anything. Even if they don't win the suit, you will probably incur expensive legal fees defending yourself and your dog.

Your best bets to protect yourself are to keep your dog in a fenced/ gated area and displaying beware of dog signs, then trespassers crossing onto your property are assuming the risk.

Are you a homeowner or renter? Make sure your dog is listed on your insurance policy. A basic mistake many people make is getting a dog and failing to notify their homeowners insurance, which is the deep pocket someone will go after if they sue. Any minor addition to your premium is worth the coverage. Of course, some dogs are excluded from policies based on breed and/or prior behavior. ZoE was interviewed by my insurance agent before being added to my policy. It took a tiny bit of my time scheduling & attending the interview but it significantly reduced the price on a year premium. I thought it kind of ridiculous at the time, but my agent said they get a lot more claims filed from small dog bites.
I didn't think about insurance. I googled this question and there were people that actually did get sued by the burglar. The burglar didn't win but the fact that he was able to take them to court was just ridiculous. And like you guys suggested, this guy had a "beware of dog" sign posted so he said that helped the case.

Being sued is one thing but I don't want my furbies taken away. I think that's my biggest fear. I'm going to get the beware of dog signs to post around my house as well as my office.
Magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!