View Single Post
Old 02-28-2014, 05:59 PM   #5
ladyjane
Resident Yorkie Nut Donating YT 20K Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peekzma View Post
Think about this...would YOU want to eat the same thing for your entire life?! Remember, ALL kibble, no matter what ingredients they use, is really nothing but processed food...heated, dried and preformed! Our dogs can survive on it but they don't THRIVE, anymore than we humans do. It is only since the popularity of feeding convenient kibble that our companion animals have developed all the same diseases common to humans. Great for the food and medical industries but not for us or our pets! They would have us believe that we are too dumb to know how to feed or care for our animals properly. I don't know about you but I find that profoundly offensive! It's actually pretty simple...All of us need fresh food for optimum health!

I give my furbies a variety of ground meats/bone and veggies and fruit. Switching things up can prevent sensitivities from developing and keeps them interested in their food.
I use a core of turkey but also feed lamb, beef, buffalo,venison, goat, rabbit, chicken, fish or eggs every few meals. I generally buy frozen pucks of meat but sometimes fresh that I separate and freeze in portion sizes. Raw organic spring mix salad greens pureed in a blender are very good for them. What I generally do is blanch and puree up big batch of green veggies and then freeze it in ice cube trays. Store them in freezer bags and then just thaw a couple cubes at a time. I also do the same with a orange yellow mix of sweet potatoes, squash,and carrots. I feed green in the morning and orange in the evening. My Yorkie seems to do best on a ratio of approximately 60% veggies to 40% meat whereas my Dachshund gets the opposite.They also get a mineral/vitamin/oil supplements. I know it might sound complicated but it's really not. It is not necessary to have it down to an exact recipe as long as it is balanced over the long run. I've been feeding this way for 10 yrs now and the benefits far outweigh the extra effort. No stinky breath or poo! Shiny hair and teeth. Strong healthy immune systems eliminating the need for toxic medications. Fewer visits to the vet. What do you choose?
My pups all eat different foods and each one of them is thriving. I don't make up diets for them. Some are on kibble, some home cooked and some on prescription foods........and I will put them next to anyone's pup and you will not be able to tell the difference. Their coats are beautiful and, as I said, each is thriving. The ones who eat home cooked are eating diets that were formulated by a vet nutritionist.

As for your comments about your pups not needing toxic medications because of their diet, I will pray that your pups remain healthy....but I have to say that I don't for one minute believe that one single diet will prevent a lot of the things that our breed is prone to....including the need for dentals.
ladyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!