Thread: Random Question
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2014, 05:36 PM   #6
yorkietalkjilly
♥ Love My Tibbe! ♥
Donating Member

He could probably sue but what jury in its right mind would penalize a dog's family for his trying to protect them? Most dog bites are not actually maiming or limb or life threatening so the total damages and payout would likely be minimal at most, even if a jury found for the plaintiff. I'd call my non-emergency police number, Animal Control and the mayor's or D.A.'s office and ask them what the laws are in your city or county.

Unless you were neglecting your dog somehow, AC would have to have a reason for taking your dog other than its attempting to save his family from the terror of a B&E in their own home on their own premises. If the dog actually savaged an intruder and seriously injured him or killed him, maybe AC could remove him from the community as a dangerous dog. I have a Beware of Dog sign in my front and back parts of the house just because I house a dog and also as a notice to visitors. It also serves to alert Fire and Police there is a dog inside should they ever need to enter under urgent/emergent circumstances. I've read that some burglars won't even consider trying to enter a home where they have reason to believe a dog lives, even a toy dog.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!