View Single Post
Old 02-27-2014, 06:29 AM   #3
PamperedYorkies
Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Are they still nursing off the momma? If they are with their mother it is possible that they had just nursed off momma and they were not hungry.

Three weeks is not to early for them to start lapping out of a bowl. I usually introduce mine to food at 3 1/2 to 4 weeks. I grind up dry puppy food in a blender until it is like cornmeal and I put it in a shallow bowl and I also leave out some water in a shallow bowl. The pups will lick the dry food and slowly start eating more. You can also give them their formula or make a mush out of the formula and ground up dry food. They should still be allowed to nurse off mom as often as they want.

Have you cut their toenails? Make sure you do that if you have not already.

Thank you!

We are keeping them with mom all the time (except for supplemental feeding, which double up as Lola's free time), but supplement a couple of times per day because their weight gain on mom alone was extremely slow. They do nurse...they are pretty loud about it, so I hear them, but whatever they are getting is definitely not enough to support substantial weight gain.

So, if I put a shallow dish out, I guess I should open up the box so they have access to the rest of space?

Toe nails, I've been doing...but I never get them all at once. They're so active! I got the front ones for sure and I think I have most of the back ones, but I'm hoping my husband is available this weekend and I can get help so he can hold the pups while I check and trim all the nails.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!