View Single Post
Old 02-20-2014, 11:34 PM   #13
gaijingirl
YT Addict

Not at all impressed with the Snoozer tether. I used it for awhile, but didn't feel confident that it would hold up in a crash. The plastic buckle just doesn't feel like enough. I would really suggest finding something better. What that is...I have no idea. I searched a lot and felt like there was nothing I felt really comfortable with. I actually ended up making my own. The Center for Pet Safety also recommends that the tether be no more than 6" and if at all possible, there should be no tether at all and the seatbelt go directly through the harness itself. But, I don't think that is really an option with a very tiny dog.

It should be noted that the Sleepypod Clickit harness that has been tested will not work for a tiny dog. Even the smallest size they have is too big for a Yorkie. It seems like an excellent product though, and I would consider it for a larger dog.

I actually contacted the Center for Pet Safety and asked her if they had any plans to test products for truly small dogs (because I think the smallest size crash test model they used was 25lbs...which compared to my dog, is not small at all.

She told me they have plans to do more testing and also will be doing carrier testing in the future. She said at this point, they believe a carrier is the safest option for very small dogs, but advised that with whatever carrier I looked at, I should research the manufacturer's crash testing thoroughly.

After much thought and research on what would be best, I decided on the Sleepypod carrier. We have the regular size, which is more than sufficient for my 4-lb dog. I could easily fit two small dogs in it. My dog does not like it as much as his carseat and harness, but I do feel like it will be the safest option and I think the Sleepypod company has put much more effort than most into testing for safety. Yes, it was expensive...and we also got the warmer pad that goes with it (which is WAY overpriced for what it is, but, oh well). The price of the Sleepypod is also not anymore than a lot of us have paid for our Kwigy-Bo bags....
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!