View Single Post
Old 02-19-2014, 08:37 AM   #38
Britster
Action Jackson ♥
Donating Member

I admit I'm a little bit more lackadaisical in the colder months around here. It's been very cold here since at least December. I just realized a few days ago that I haven't given him Heartguard chew since December. So I skipped January, and am not worried about it.

But I agree that in MOST areas, it's just silly not to give it. It's something I'm usually pretty adamant about. Unlike flea/tick meds, I only give those topicals about 2-3x a year in the summer. Admittedly, I haven't heard of many dogs around here who end up with heartworms (even in the rescue I used to volunteer for, etc) but I know it's a huge problem in the south. My dads dogs are not given heartworm meds, and it's not out of a lack of love, more just ignorance, and my dad and stepmom don't keep up with that kind of stuff. Their dogs are almost 7 and 6. No problems thus far. My moms dog used to be a primarily outdoor dog and never had anything either.

But their level of care for dogs is not the same as mine. It's not something I want to risk personally. And I understand the feelings of not wanting to give too many drugs, or pesticides (it's why I am very limited on vaccines and flea/tick meds) but I truly feel that the heartworm meds (at least the one I use) is well tested and is very safe. So I will continue to give it year round, or at least 90% of the year.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!