View Single Post
Old 02-19-2014, 07:51 AM   #37
Wylie's Mom
Furbutts = LOVE
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teegy View Post
Yes Gemy lives near me. There have been very few cases of heartworm here and like I said I discussed it with my vet. It's not $4 a month here I'm sure many wish it was. I know plenty of people who do not and have never used heartworm prevention on their pets here and they loved long and happy lives. It's like Russian roulette. But I don't want to put insecticides in my dogs. I understand there are a lot of places in the US where it is predominant and there is a great need for it, but it's not here.
YIKES. But, exactly! Not giving HW meds *IS* like playing Russian roulette. Personally, I would never play that kind of game when it comes to my kiddo's lives. Just for some perspective, take a look at these maps:

Heartworm Incidence map 2001-2007: http://www.heartwormsociety.org/down...idence-Map.pdf

And, 2010: http://www.heartwormsociety.org/down...e-Map-2010.pdf

See how progressive and volatile incidence is? This translates yet again to playing Russian roulette, so it really is a great analogy.

I live in Arizona, and it's really not terribly prevalent here, but I learned a huge confirmation lesson a few years back. In our neighborhood, we found a gorgeous purebred female black lab - just the best dog! Someone likely dumped her, but we couldn't figure out why. After trying to search for her owner, we found her a home. When they took her to the vet, they found out she had heartworm, in an area of LOW incidence! We were blown away. Thank God I'd already been giving mine the meds. That poor precious kiddo went through hell with those arsenic treatments, let me tell you.

My point is, while you may feel safer not giving it -- my firsthand experience informs me that even in areas of low-or-no-incidence -- it's THERE. It's right flippin' there nonetheless. Sadly .

Just my 2 cents, take or leave what you will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teegy View Post
Why do you need a scientific study that natural holistic means work. I just gave you one. Mine.
Don't get all pious and snotty. There are areas of this world where there are huge issues with mosquitoes and heartworm and those who live there do what they do to protect their dogs.
I personally feel that prolonged use of insecticide on my dogs will impact their immune system and organ functions.
You cannot force someone to do something they do not feel is right and you most certainly are in no position to pass judgement on my or any other persons character because of your personal choices versus mine. I certainly am not trying to belittle you for you beliefs. Learn to respect mine and share opinions.
This was totally uncalled for! Sharing a passionate opinion does not = pious and snotty. You've been asking that your opinion be respected, yet you're calling others names for having theirs - not cool at all. Please, don't bring it to this level - we're all way better than this. There is no acceptable reason as to why we can't have a respectful exchange about this, even if passion abounds.

°¨¨¨°ºOº°¨¨¨° Ann | Pfeiffer | Marcel Verdel Purcell | Wylie | Artie °¨¨¨°ºOº°¨¨¨°
Wylie's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!