View Single Post
Old 02-17-2014, 01:19 PM   #6
R-Teddy
No Longer a Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximo View Post
I feel the same way -- hate the pesticide topicals. The oral flea meds scare me too. We use the flea and tick preventatives as little as possible and split the dose according to weight (heartworm preventatives and oral meds cannot be split or they are not effective).

For ticks, I check my boys carefully when we come in from outside. However, some of the most dangerous ticks are smaller than the head of a pin.

Some people use "natural" things, but be very careful with these. Many products sold as natural are not really safe. Arsenic is a natural substance, but it isn't safe (not that arsenic is sold as a flea preventative).

Various concoctions of natural oils -- some natural oils or combinations are toxic to dogs. There is a lot of debate over which ones. This makes me very nervous.

Diatomaceous earth, food grade is a must, is a popular alternative, but has to be applied daily, I think. I'm on the fence about this one. It's silica, isn't it? I worry about the long term effects of inhaling silica, natural though it may be.
When you say you split the does according to weight, do you mean if using a product that doesnt already come for their weight, an so have to get one that is for larger weight? I ask because many of the topical's do come for pups for 5 pound on up. I think I even saw one for smaller then 5 pounds, I cant remember which one though.
R-Teddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!