View Single Post
Old 02-11-2014, 11:32 AM   #8
mimimomo
Don't Litter Spay&Neuter
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDPiper View Post
Jenny, she has a mix of black and white nails. You would love my little parti girl!! She absolutely hates to have her feet touched. How often should I trim her nails and what do you suggest using?

I did end up using the blunt nosed scissors to trim around her bum but I was using the trimmers to trim the hair between her bum and her girl part. If it gets too long her poop gets stuck in it. How do I trim the hair on the pads of her feet? The trimmer is a very small, fine toothed trimmer similar to the peanut trimmer but it doesn't look as wide as the peanut.

Thank you for the help, both of you!!

BTW...she's naughty and will not sit if I'm holding her paws.
The problem w/people trimmers is that the blade is different. Not much, but it shouldn't cut them, the blade should be a #10 blade which leaves 1/16" for sanitary trims. It also depends on the angle of the trimmer when you're cutting. It shouldn't be directly pointing @ them, it should be about 98 degree angle.
Here's a great blog by a groomer: Grooming Lessons from a Real Groomer: Lesson 2 How to use Scissors & Clippers

For the nails...While you're relaxing, massage her paws, touch her nails, get her used to having her paw & nails touched. Have the nail clipper out, don't touch her w/the clipper, but put it next to her paw. If she doesn't move her paw away, praise & treat. Gradually end up touching her paw w/the clipper. If no reaction, praise & treat.
For Turbo, I have to ask for his hand. If I grab his hand, he tries to take it away loll. Only Turbo & Mimi will tolerate nail clippings.
I need to wrap Momo & Princess tightly in a towel & I flip them over on their back (I only do this so I can have easy access to their paws) & trim their nails bc they freak out. Even wrapped up, they try to wiggle out. They both had their nails ripped out b4, Momo's dewclaw when he was playing w/his ball, think it got snagged on the berber carpet or fabric couch. Princess lost her nail when I accidentally nudged her off the stairs. So it's very difficult to trim their nails & I found wrapping them in a towel keeps them safe & I have more control. I do massage their paws, touch their nails, kiss it & paw it on my face...but they still freak out.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!