View Single Post
Old 02-10-2014, 11:24 AM   #4
tokipoki
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Hmm...what type of surgery are they recommending? Toki was diagnosed with Legg-Perthes around 10 months and had a femoral head ostectomy done when she was a year old.

Although they may have misdiagnosed Ruca initially, I've always thought that the recommended treatment/surgery for hip dysplasia and Legg-Perthes is the same (an FHO) which typically has a good prognosis. When we first found out about the LCP, my vet recommended just keeping an eye on things (since Toki wasn't limping or showing pain) and waiting to get the surgery done until symptoms were present which is ultimately what ended up happening 2 months later.

I haven't heard too much about this type of surgery being an issue at this age. 6 is still young and I've read about much older dogs getting more difficult surgeries done with successful results. I personally would want to get the surgery done as soon as possible (since limping/pain are present indicating that this is necessary) to preserve the muscle mass and integrity in the affected leg. That will make recovery much better and improve the use of that leg as well.
tokipoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!