View Single Post
Old 02-10-2014, 10:26 AM   #1
RucasMommy
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Animal Smiley 036 Hip Dysplasia Misdiagnosis

So, this is my first post, but I am looking for some answers as to what I can do about a misdiagnosis and maybe information on Legge-Perthes disease treatment.

When Ruca was 5-6 months old, she came home from the groomer limping. I thought it was a nail cut too short, so I let it go for 2 days. When it became apparent she wasn't putting any weight on her leg and was in pain when I touched it, I made an appointment with my vet.

At the original appt, they did a series of x-rays and told me she had hip dysplasia and that there was nothing we could do aside from daily vitamins (glucosomine mix) for the rest of her life, which I have done for 5 years now.

Last summer, I switched vets due to an emergency and my vet wouldn't answer. This new vet has been amazing and cared for her much more than the old vet. Ten days ago, she suddenly stopped eating/drinking, wouldn't respond to me at all, was laying completely still and full body tremors for 12 hours until we could get her to the vet. They did laser treatment, and gave her a week of Tramadol & Metacam for pain/inflammation. The day after her meds ran out, right back to the same symptoms.

Now I'm being told that she has Legge-Perthe's and needs surgery. They also said this should have been noticeable on xrays at age 6 months-1 year (which I had done). They say the surgery is more risky and longer recovery time now, at age 6. Does anyone have experience with this or have any suggestions for me? Also, can I go back on the old vet for misdiagnosis?
RucasMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!