View Single Post
Old 02-09-2014, 11:13 AM   #1
R-Teddy
No Longer a Member

Cup Switching from canned to dry food

So my Athena turned 7 weeks old Saturday. she has most of her top teeth in now, perhaps not all the way down, but only her back teeth on the bottom. the front teeth on the bottom I can see, but they are not poking through yet.

currently I am feeding her canned food. :wellness core grain free puppy formula

I want to start her on dry kibble : Wellness Small breed super5mix just for puppies.

I have tried the soaking the dry in water to make it soft. She wont eat it that way. but, she will eat it dry at least sometimes. I havent tried a lot yet as she didnt have any teeth. I just broke the pieces in half so even if she didnt chew it, she wouldn't choke on it.

So my questions are as follows...

FIRST: what is the best way to go about switching from canned to dry. should I just do a cold turkey switch , or should I mix it with the canned an lessen the can food I put in it over time until shes on completely dry? Or something else?

SECOND: should I wait until all of her teeth are in, or is it ok to start the switch now?

THIRD: Should I continue to break the pieces of kibble in half, or try it whole. The pieces are smaller then a cheerio, but just a touch bigger then the end of a pencil eraser. they are very thin and break real easy.

As I said she is 7 weeks old and weighs between 2-3 pounds. she weighed 1.92 pounds at the vet when she was 5 1/2 weeks old. I know she has gained since then but don't have a scale to accurately weigh her here at the house. She doesn't go into the vet again until FEB. 16th for her vaccinations.

Opinions greatly appreciated.

Last edited by R-Teddy; 02-09-2014 at 11:18 AM.
R-Teddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!