View Single Post
Old 02-07-2014, 11:17 AM   #4
dawn27
2+2=4 X the Love ♥
Donating Member

I know exactly how you feel, It wont be easy but at the ages of 9, 7, 5 & 2 mine did it and its been so much nicer in our home. Its been about two years now. I have even gotten them to stop barking at the mail man. With the door closed of course, door open and that just a whole new and crazy situation all together.

I also do in home child care and I had the same issues with my pups jumping and barking and just being ridiculously annoying when the parents came with their kids. They are fine and dandy once they leave, mine all love kids !!

So enough was enough.... they knew their sit commands it was the stay part we had to work on. I set a boundary (line) for behind the divider where the carpet meets the hard wood. I explained to my parents that I have an open door policy that if you child is in my care you are more than welcomed to come in unannounced. Some would some did and so we still had issues with barking. I worked with my pups for almost an entire year before they finally got it.... I used treats at first to get them to sit and stay behind the line. Taught them that they were not allowed to go to the door and that it would not be opened until they were there. I also explained to my parent and other guest that I may take a little longer to get to the door because we were in training and they totally understood. I use the word (back) I just tell them to get back and they do. Once the person was inside they could greet them but no jumping or barking.

I do find that if they/the parents just walk in without knocking it is so much less stressful. On occasion the pups may not listen to me and so I get their attention by tapping my hand on the closet door and that seems to snap them out of their crazy dog mode and they quiet down. Than without being told will scoot back away from he door and right in line behind he divider, its just pure heaven !!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!