View Single Post
Old 02-06-2014, 06:55 PM   #7
PamperedYorkies
Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkiemom1 View Post
The milk supply is kind of critical information to know....if she is not producing milk, that would explane why the puppies are dropping weight rather than gaining weight. I always weigh my babies twice a day, and I can pin point when a problem is manifesting quietly...the puppy stops gaining weight and drops weight......healthy puppies that are getting enough to eat do NOT drop weight.....that is not acceptable. I hate it when vets send dogs home without pain med. following surgery. You obviously can not put the momma to sleep with large doses of pain meds, but a little med to just take the edge off the pain is only compassionate.....she should NEVER get to the point where she is shaking and trembling in pain, ,,,,, Anytime I have had to section one of my mommas, my vet gives me Torbutrol in Vitamino for the pain, and I give her a low dose, every 4-6 hours, to give her some relief....the low dose does not affect the babies and it keeps my lady from suffering in pain. I only need to give it the day of surgery and first post op day....she is usually getting much better by the second post op day, needing the med only once or twice in a 12 hour period. If those babies do not turn around and start gaining weight, I would be doing supplemental feedings. There are many formulas in the Breeding section for supplemental feedings immediately.....I personally dont like having to make up lost ground......you really should be "milking" each teat to be sure she is producing milk, especially the vital colostrum those babies require from momma for protection against diseases....just plain canned puppy milk is not really the optimum choice, especially since they have already started to drop weight.
Ok…I will get right to it. I'll do a manual check on mom. Is there anything additional I can do to help her milk production?

Just wondering why pups don't cry if they're not getting enough milk? Is this typical? Could they be ill?
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!