View Single Post
Old 02-06-2014, 03:42 PM   #9
Britster
Action Jackson ♥
Donating Member

I honestly know nothing about vasculitis, so don't know the seriousness of it, but how do you know she can't have meat? She absolutely NEEDS to be on a vegan food? How did your vet come to this conclusion?

Have you ever spoken with a vet nutritionist, not simply a vet? I would check out the BalanceIT website. You can purchase a supplement, and view free recipes (although for special needs dogs, you WILL have to have the approval of your vet), but there is no reason you can't do as you wish with your own dog. If you want to homecook, talk to the vet about it. She is your dog, you make decisions. Your vet can't force you NOT to homecook if that's what you wish to do. It just doesn't like he's very willing to help?

And I seriously wouldn't worry about corn. That sounds like the least of your worries. In a study of 278 cases of food allergies in dogs where the problem ingredient was clearly identified, beef was by far the biggest culprit. Dairy was number two at 55 cases. Wheat came in third with 42 cases. Soy and corn were actually minimal offenders, coming in at 13 and 7 cases, respectively. In fact, protein sources are more often to blame than grains. Beef, dairy, chicken, egg, lamb, soy, pork and fish were responsible for 231 of the food allergies, while wheat, corn and rice combined accounted for only 54.

So yes corn COULD be causing itching, but food allergies are not as likely as environmental.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!