View Single Post
Old 02-06-2014, 05:28 AM   #6
sweetest1307
Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by McheleM View Post
A stick??

Do you mean a tie? I mean, if you're going to breed, you should probably know the correct terminology.

Besides being perfect for each other, what other testing have you done? Why are you breeding this specific pair? In all honesty, the male needs to be smaller than the female. And you need to know what size dogs are behind him in his lines. What are you going to do if she gets pregnant with large pups? Do you have money set aside for an emergency c-section if she should need one? Where's your mentor? Why isnt she helping your male tie with the female?

I hope you're mentally and financially ready for everything a pregnancy and whelping entails.
As you can tell I've been a member on the site for about 8 years now & I stated in my post, I've bred before with a different female...she was 7lbs & the male was 4lbs & I had no issues with their mating. She did end up having an emergency c-section because one male had the cord tied around his neck, she had 4 pups & the last pup who came out was the one who had the complications because it took him too long to get breathing after birth & I had to help mom with him for 10 days and he passed away in my arms after his long fight trying to stay alive and we thought he was going to make it, unfortunately he did pass on my birthday at that. I decided to have her fixed after that because I didn't want her to go through that again and I did have the funds saved up for it as I do for this one as well since I've been through this before.

I'm sorry I called it a "stick" and not a "tie" because to me, the word "tie" is in reference to a knot or twist of a sort & that's not what happens...so I'm sorry if my reference of calling it a "sticking" offended you, I call it that because the male swells up inside the female and they do get stuck, not twisted. I wasn't aware they're was a rule book to certain "terminology".

I'm not new to the breed, I've had Yorkies for 8 years now & I have had my female for 3 years & if I could I would clone her, she has Champion bloodline, beautiful markings & came with a 3 yr health guarantee & now she's just over 3 years old, never been sick, never even had any health issues, not even with her teeth. She started to show all of the signs that she was ready to be a mother, so I had the stud who also weighed 5-6 lbs on stand by as I spoke to several people and went through plenty who just wanted to stud out for the money and knew nothing about the breed, half of them didn't even look full bred. I've searched for the right male for a while now & where I live it's not easy to find good litters, people breed for the wrong reasons around here. With my experience the first time I didn't make a single penny from it, in fact it cost me money so I know this is an investment.

I'm breeding these two because they have many of the same traits & temperaments and I hope they will have puppies who turn out exactly the way they are. I've been told the male needs to be smaller as well and have also been told that's not true by so many different people some apparently well educated breeders and who've done it for years and yet some of them still call them teacups. Even vets have told me as long as they are between 4-7 lbs breeding them no matter who's bigger or smaller won't make a difference because it all goes back several litters prior as well. Some apparent "well educated" breeders call some teacups so I've had a few spats with them because of that. Unless there is some certification course or degree I need...I think I'm knowable enough to breed mine. Isn't that what this specific section of the forum is for...to ask questions and/or share stories???

I'm sorry if using the term "sticking" made you assume I don't know what I'm getting into or that I may not have the knowledge or funds for breeding, when I do & I know the risks. My mentor lives an hour away so it wasn't easy to get help from her because of her distance and she had never experienced this situation before either. The breeder who the male came from also has a great line of genes as she has had show dogs, I am not breeding to show even though I know my female is very capable of being a show dog. I just don't care for the snooty personalities of some of the people who do, at least the ones that I've personally met or spoken too and we don't really have dog shows in my area where I live either.

I'm breeding mine because I want more with their personalities, just like the males as well are very much alike. My husband & I are disabled, he's a USMC Disabled Veteran & our Layla has helped both of us with our anxieties & has alerted us of certain health issues which we plan to certify her as a therapy dog some day & hope that her litter of pups, if she turns out pregnant will all have the same traits to be therapy dogs as well some day for people like us, not just to be a pretty picture which is already a given. For all I know we may not even sell any of the pups. We did have two successful "tie's" so hopefully we will have a litter in a couple of months. Thanks for your input and opinions. Have a great day!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!