Thread: Silky Yorkie?
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2014, 12:31 PM   #12
R-Teddy
No Longer a Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britster View Post
There isn't a 'kind' of Yorkie. A Yorkie is a Yorkie. There are no separate classifications (like a Poodle for example, you've got your Toy, Mini and Standard). A "silky yorkie" doesn't exist. Someone may be describing your Yorkies hair as silky to touch though for example. A lot of people are very confused about dog breeds, Yorkies in particular fall victim to the "Oh she's a teacup!" when in actuality, there is NO such thing. lol. But many people innocently call their dogs 'teacups' etc and then the more people hear it, the more common it becomes to say, and people think it's a real thing.

Things can go wrong real quick when you have people breeding dogs and not doing health testing, paying attention to lineage, etc. For example the 'founder sire' of Yorkies, Huddersfeld Ben, was actually a larger Yorkie, but he tended to produce small puppies. So big Yorkies can happen real quickly if people aren't paying attention and just breeding willy nilly without knowing anything about the dogs history and ancestry. Jackson's parents were 7lbs and 8lbs according to the 'breeder' (I only met the mother) and he's 17lbs.

But yes ultimately a Silky was a mix of the Australian Terrier and the Yorkshire Terrier. Bred for the beautiful coat of a Yorkie, but a large more robust terrier such as the Aussie.

Awww thank you so much! He's seriously SUCH a character. So much personality is right.

Yeah realized after your first post there wasnt different breeds amongst yorkies. A yorkie is a yorkie. I was just trying to be silly when I said ( whatever kind ) . Seh probably was just using the "silky" as a description , like if she was saying soft, or fuzzy or what have you. But me not being that overly kowledged of the breed, got confused, especailly when I saw the weight difference. I now understand taht however, this doesnt mean she isnt a yorkie. Thank you.

Honestly even if she does turn out to be something else, a Silky terrier or what have you, thats fine with me. still love my baby. Both her parents look the same as most of the Yorkies I see posted on here however, so im sure she is. Plus this was a friend of mine. I do not think she would be dishonest with me. If they are mixed, then she doesnt know it either. I could see where some people might get upset after paying a lot of money for them, if it wasnt what they thought it was. but tahts not the case with me. I didnt buy Athena. Her mother was killed in an accident and my friend had 8 puppies to take care of. she asked trusted friends whom she knew took good care of their pets to take some on. she just couldn't do it on her own as she was in that accident as well an seriously injured. It was more important to her they be well taken care of, then that she get money for them. We have been friends for years. I took Athena. My friend kept one other girl, a daughter of her beloved she lost. The rest have good homes now as well.
R-Teddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!