Thread: Silky Yorkie?
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2014, 11:37 AM   #11
Britster
Action Jackson ♥
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Teddy View Post
Well both of her parents are yorkies ( what ever kind ). I saw them both and have for years. But I dont have papers. If they are mixed, cant tell by looking at them. My friend that I got her from said the mother had papers, but she never sent for the ones for Daddy. I wasnt concerned about it. I wont be breeding her nor showing her. My friend may have said silky coated yorkie and I just didnt remember.
There isn't a 'kind' of Yorkie. A Yorkie is a Yorkie. There are no separate classifications (like a Poodle for example, you've got your Toy, Mini and Standard). A "silky yorkie" doesn't exist. Someone may be describing your Yorkies hair as silky to touch though for example. A lot of people are very confused about dog breeds, Yorkies in particular fall victim to the "Oh she's a teacup!" when in actuality, there is NO such thing. lol. But many people innocently call their dogs 'teacups' etc and then the more people hear it, the more common it becomes to say, and people think it's a real thing.

Things can go wrong real quick when you have people breeding dogs and not doing health testing, paying attention to lineage, etc. For example the 'founder sire' of Yorkies, Huddersfeld Ben, was actually a larger Yorkie, but he tended to produce small puppies. So big Yorkies can happen real quickly if people aren't paying attention and just breeding willy nilly without knowing anything about the dogs history and ancestry. Jackson's parents were 7lbs and 8lbs according to the 'breeder' (I only met the mother) and he's 17lbs.

But yes ultimately a Silky was a mix of the Australian Terrier and the Yorkshire Terrier. Bred for the beautiful coat of a Yorkie, but a large more robust terrier such as the Aussie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Teddy View Post
What ever he is, he is cute as can be. You can just "SEE" his personality in that face.
Awww thank you so much! He's seriously SUCH a character. So much personality is right.

Last edited by Britster; 02-05-2014 at 11:38 AM.
Britster is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!