Thread: Silky Yorkie?
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2014, 08:45 AM   #4
WannaBe
YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britster View Post
Just so people don't think you're serious, there is no such thing as a teacup OR a teapot. "Teapot" is an endearing term used by us at YT for the bigger Yorkies, it's meant as a joke. Sort of making fun of the people who think teacups are a real type of dog.

But yes size is not an indicator at all. A Silky Terrier and a Yorkshire Terrier are different breeds. A Yorkie with a silky coat is just a description, but when you say Silky Terrier, you're talking bout a different breed lol. Get it? I know, confusing. You could have a 7lb purebred Silky and a 15lb purebred Yorkie... it happens. Size is not the only indicator of breed type.

I did not get my Jackson from a good breeder (simply a classifieds ad out of the newspaper). I often think he is a Silky... he's longer than he is tall, he's 17lbs, his nose is longer, ears are bigger, and he honestly matches descriptions of Silky's more often than not. He doesn't really 'act' like most Yorkies I know. BUT... odds really are that he's a Yorkie. Just a badly bred one. Silky's are much more rare in the States. And puppy millers and bad breeders haven't got their hands on Silky's the way that they have for Yorkies which is why you get so many out of standard Yorkies that all look different.

A wellbred Yorkie and a wellbred Silky are actually very easy to tell apart.

Here is a comparison of 3 similar terrier breeds, the Silky, the Yorkshire and the Australian.
Comparison of Silky to Aussie & Yorkie

Here is some Silky champions:
Blackrange Championship Silky Terriers
Yep, what she says!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!