View Single Post
Old 02-03-2014, 06:47 AM   #9
Wylie's Mom
Furbutts = LOVE
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkiemini View Post
Awsome article.
Bottom line is that evidence based practice in animals is not what is driving the treatment regimens. I'm guessing the research thT is required for evidence based practice for vets may be considered too expensive so therefore we continue with trial-and-error and doing what we have always done instead.

This is scary and demands that we as pet owners demand and expect more. The main lesson here is ask questions and stay informed.

Places like Yorkie Talk will be clear centers for this type of activity. I know my vet considers me a pain in the butt at times, but they also always answer my questions and give me copies of research articles that back up their decisions.

Maybe we need an EVIDENCED BASED forum to put these articles we find so all can have access to them.

Thanks for bringing this to the forefront !
EXACTLY!! What's concerning is the extent to which 'emotions' are driving the drug choices, and that's never a good thing.

What also was deeply concerning to me was the extent to which vets are exceedingly cautious about potential (stress potential!) side effects. In humans, we have potential SE as well, but we still take major meds despite this bc they're the best meds to take. It seems that w/ pets, they're sacrificing the meds more often based upon potential SE, much more than in humans. That's very odd to me. NSAIDs are amazing meds, and we shouldn't be SO cautious with them bc of potential SE, we should be reasonably cautious and be mitigating the risks, and that's it.

°¨¨¨°ºOº°¨¨¨° Ann | Pfeiffer | Marcel Verdel Purcell | Wylie | Artie °¨¨¨°ºOº°¨¨¨°
Wylie's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!