View Single Post
Old 02-02-2014, 12:17 AM   #3
DvlshAngel985
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

Marking, which is what it sounds like, can be corrected with training. At least it was for us. It's like potty training:
-confine
-watch like a hawk
-give more space when it is earned

Belly bands help, when combine with training it helps your pup understand what is expected from them. This is what worked for me:
I confined Kaji to his pen when away to work. When I allowed him to explore our home, I made sure I was available to catch him in the act in order to correct and redirect the behavior. I not only allowed, but I encouraged marking outside for 2 reasons
1- to let him know that peeing or marking wasn't my issue. (That sometimes leads to pups peeing in hidden spots because they associate peeing in general with getting in trouble)
2-it's his natural dog instinct to mark and I want to allow him to have doggy behaviors (well.. Except for humping, that's not allowed)

If I honestly couldn't give Kaji 100% of my attention, he was confined where he had his basic necessaties. When I saw progress, I gave him more room. We started with the pen, the. My room, added the hallway, then the kitchen, and leashing the whole apartment.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!