View Single Post
Old 01-31-2014, 05:48 PM   #5
gracielove
YT 3000 Club Member

You have a baby on your hands and have plenty of time to teach her. Training in simple things like sit, down, stay can start at any time. Sit is usually the easiest to start with.

When you are daily teaching your pup how to do things they naturally learn that you are their leader.

Gracie is a member of our family. She sits on the furniture with us and sleeps in the bed but she also knows and is eager to do things that we have taught her. When she was a pup she would charge the door when it was opened. She loved to get loose and run like the wind and never look back. Of course that was dangerous for her AND me since I thought my heart was going to stop from fear of her getting to the road! She now knows that when someone comes to the door or is going to go out the door that she is to sit in a particular spot away from the door.

Training a dog to sit, stay, come, and down can be life saving activities. Life tends to throw us unexpected circumstances so always be prepared. Lots of positive reinforcement, love, treats are all good tools for teaching your pup to love these learning sessions. Since your pup is young short sessions are best. As she gets older you can go a little longer.

You might want to read up on the Yorkie temperament. Because Yorkies are in the public eyes as a sort of accessory people do not realize that they are terriers and they have retained the terrier temperament. They are active, feisty little dogs with a lot of energy. They need a lot of exercise and attention. A Yorkie will not be happy as an ornamental type of dog. They were bred to kill rodents and have that love of a good fight still in them. You have to learn to work with and not against that inbred nature of theirs. Oh, and some good all natural healthy chews are a good idea to help with the pups need to chew and bite. Stay away from rawhide though.
gracielove is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!