View Single Post
Old 01-31-2014, 03:06 PM   #1
SarahK
Senior Yorkie Talker

Default New puppy is dominating my first dog--help!

Toby is my six pound Morkie and he is one year old. He is very comfortable in our house (well, he was!) and has been longing for a playmate. Enter Max, an adorable and gentle four pound Yorkie.

Toby and Max had two playdates together before we decided to go ahead and make Max a permanent part of our family. Last night Max came home for good and he seemed to sense that something was different and boy oh boy did he establish dominance over Toby immediately. He mounted Toby three times (Toby is neutered, Max is not), took his bed (not his crate), pooped in his pen, bit him when he tried to eat, took away all his toys, and convinced poor Toby to run in circles around the coffee table (which Toby usually likes doing) while Max stood under the coffee table and nipped at him every now and then.

I did not stand idly by--this took hours to all transpire and I kept stopping the behavior, but when I tallied up everything at the end of the night, I realized exactly why my poor Toby was refusing to play with any of his toys and why he no longer would go in his bed. My poor baby!

Any advice? Today I have been stopping the behavior immediately. I also got out an extra (new) bed that I have and after spending all day removing Max from the old bed and putting him in the new bed, he seems to have given up on Toby's special bed and Toby has reclaimed that bed. I also have separate pens for the boys (although eventually I'd like to be able to pen them together) since I don't trust them together when I'm not home.

Ahh, this is way harder than I thought it would be. Later I'll start another thread on the potty issues Max is giving me.

SarahK is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!