View Single Post
Old 01-30-2014, 01:02 PM   #12
Lilah Charm
Donating YT 500 Club Member

We just went on our first real vacation since we got our little Lilah one year ago. It was seven days and we flew 3,000 miles away from one coast to the other. We also traveled a hundred miles from the airport and took educational classes at a local college while we were there, so even though I really did want to take my little girl...it just wasn't realistic. And honestly, leaving the kids, the dog and the livestock behind (what no goats on the airplane??) it really did feel more like a vacation - even though it was work/education related. We have great kennel options here in Portland, Oregon. It is a very boutiquey area full of dog hotels, parks, spas, barkeries (think cupcakes..) - we even have an indoor dog waterpark in this town. I had already researched various dog hotels in case the day ever came that we would need their services (we don't get out much so maybe I was fantasizing) and had settled on 'Sniff' dog hotel. It would be very spendy but I felt it would be worth it for their services. But for a lot of it she would have been alone. They have doggy daycare options but Lilah has not been spayed due to show aspirations (Im thinking she will be too small to make the cut but now I am rambling off topic longer than I meant to) and Lilah is a very social dog. I have five children that are all her best buddies, she thinks the cats will decide to like her some day, I only work part time four days a week - I am home by four. A week with 'cuddle sessions' and '20 min walks' even with a cushy couch, television and window views was not going to meet Lilahs needs. Luckily my mom and her little maltepoo Bella were willing to take her in for the duration and she had a blast with her buddy and a snuggly bed to sleep in. If Lilah does not have a companion, I could not see kenneling her for more than a day or two. If she had a best friend, I think it would have been okay. In home is ideal but talk about hard to find! I feel lucky. How long are you going to be gone for?
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!