View Single Post
Old 01-26-2014, 09:11 AM   #5
Bellabean
YT 1000 Club Member

:Quote:
Originally Posted by kjc
Several times a year, how old are the children? Yorkies absorb the energy around them, so in a group of excited children, I would expect problems to occur. At 3 YO, a Yorkie may be protective, or just unsure of herself in that type of situation. They can be easily kicked (bumped with a foot) and/or stepped on, even by adults. And I'm sorry to say this, but some children can just be mean to a small dog. Even an accidental hard petting can be misinterpreted by the dog.

As this occurs a few times a year, I'd put the dogs in a room on their own during these events. If you really want to train her to tolerate children, you'll have to expose her more often to different situations involving children, and protect her by having her on leash, in a stroller, or held in your arms.
Yorkies can be very bothered by children and their high energy. My suggestion is to keep her away from children before she gets blamed for a bite that should not have happened. I cannot tell you how many cases we see of this...and the poor pups are always the ones to suffer.

Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!