View Single Post
Old 01-23-2014, 07:35 AM   #1
Genisys
Senior Yorkie Talker

Animal Smiley 049 Yorkie moms- Help! (Back again) more issues with Logan :(

So Logan will is 11.5 weeks old now, he'll be 12 wks on sunday.

The weather here in Philadelphia is ABSOLUTELY AWFUL right now. Tons of snow and ice on the ground, temperatures in the teens. He simply will not do his business outside. I completely understand- he isn't house trained and its freezing out there.. but my husband and I have been going crazy cleaning up after his messes in the house.

We've had him for almost 4 weeks now (since he was 8 wks old) and we use wee-wee pads in the house because it's been bitter cold since we got him.

He had some good days where he would go outside 100%. I'm home with him all day so he's right by my side almost always. for a week he was going on the pads 100% as well.

WELL... as of the past couple of days, he seems to have completely forgotten anything he learned about where its "good" to pee/poo and where its "bad" to go.

I believe the breeder we bought him from kept him crated more often then not. (this is not what i was lead to believe, otherwise I would never have given business to such a breeder) however this is what I *believe* now because he exhibits symptoms of "dirty dog syndrome" like a pet shop puppy would. He has no problem going to the bathroom IN his crate.

And yes, his crate is slightly big, but I can't bring myself to put him in a tiny crate knowing that he will just mess in there and sleep right in it. I've partitioned the crate so that it was only big enough for him to sleep, stand and turn around inside, but he then just messed in his bed!

I've been putting a pee-pad in his crate next to his bed, just for the sake of clean up and so that he doesn't track pee into his bed etc, but now he just looks into his crate if he has to go....even though there will be 2-3 pads right in front of him.

He just doesn't seem to grasp the concept of where to go, no matter what we do.

We bought Nature's Miriacle Advanced Formula to spray and rid of the urine scent and it seems to work, but I feel like I'm doing so much more clean-up than I ever should with him, since he's shown in the past that he DID know what he is supposed to do.

Is he still young enough to re-train somehow? I'm not expecting the weather to let up any time soon here. I'm thinking he will be 16-20 wks old before it's really "comfortable" outside for him to be taken out regularly... would that be too late to train him to go outside and eliminate pee pads all together?

Also- is it possible to train him on the pee pads and actually successfully transition him to going outside only?

another issue we're having with him is growling and biting... or "playing too hard" as I put it. He is constantly biting (not hard) and he just started growling and barking at me. It happens mostly when I don't pick him up if I'm sitting on the couch.

Now- I've taught him sit, paw, lay-down, roll over, spin, and he *almost* knows stay. BUT he can't wrap his fuzzy little head around the bathroom concept!

I love him so much. In the short time he's been with us, he's become a part of our family. We don't have children so Logan IS our child and I'd never dream of giving him up- but I need some help from fellow Yorkie moms out there with how *NOT* to lose my mind while training him
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!