View Single Post
Old 01-22-2014, 07:03 PM   #1
STLyorkies
Yorkie Talker

Confused Need your opinions please!

I am new to YorkieTalk and this is my first post. It sure seems there are a lot of knowledgeable and experienced owners who I hope to goodness can help me! Four days ago, I adopted a 6-month-old Yorkie (as a companion for my 2-1/2 year-old Yorkie) who has had virtually no potty training. The gal I got her from swears she took Kali out every hour ... Pippa, my 2-1/2 year old Yorkie has been with us since she was 8 weeks old. Potty training was challenging with Pippa, but not impossible. Pippa had accidents and then just one day turned the corner and has only had a couple of "accidents" that I am sure were not accidents (she was mad at my husband and me, I am sure). Anyway...back to Kali. When I first brought Kali home, Pippa and I would take her outside and stay with her in her designated area of the yard for 15-30 minutes with no response. Until we got inside...LOL. Anyway, the more she went out with Pippa, the more she got the idea. This morning when I took her out, she peed immediately and I praised her. I was so proud! Tonight I took her out in the bitter cold and it was back to the first problem ... we stayed outside and nothing...until we went back inside. The difference was Pippa did not go out with us tonight. I suspect she has never been crated, which is my next step, though the crate won't be here until Saturday. Should I start from the beginning of potty training (I have read the schedule in the potty training book)? She is going to absolutely HATE being crated for 3 hours when Pippa is not (they play beautifully together most of the time!). I can put up a baby gate to keep her contained in the office and bathroom area but that's not much room for Pippa and Kali to play (they like running the Daytona 500 through the house). Does anyone have any suggestions for me? Please and thanks in advance!
STLyorkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!