View Single Post
Old 01-21-2014, 03:51 PM   #6
yorkietalkjilly
♥ Love My Tibbe! ♥
Donating Member

My Tibbe has MVD and can't have any regular treats or chicken or anything so I just used his hepatic food mixed with his kibble soaked and baked or cooked in a microwave to make his treats. He'll do anything for them!

Here is the Bark/Quiet tips for teaching a dog how to learn to quieten itself that I've copied from an older post about a male dog which starts out about basic obedience training but goes on to the Bark/Quiet training:

The best thing is to start him on basic obedience. Over a little time he will learn to obey your requests and accustom himself to doing what you say. BASIC OBEDIENCE TRAINING IS ONE OF THE BEST WAYS IN THE WORLD TO PREVENT PROBLEM BEHAVIOR DOWN THE ROAD.

You can then, once he's learned a few of the basics like sit, lie down, stay, etc., also teach him to bark by giving him a treat and saying "Bark" as he is barking and making a talking sign with your hand - you know how you do when you are saying someone is talkative and you flap your fingers and thumb together and open to replicate a mouth talking? This will teach him to bark on command. Keep on working with him over and over for about 3 minute sessions a few times each day while he's so young, longer as he ages. Never go over 5 minutes per session for most dogs - they bore easily unless you are really good at keeping them engaged. Before long, he will quieten and wait for you to say "Bark" and make the bark sign with your hand and then wait for him to bark. Praise and treat him when he does. Keep it up until he is barking several times in a row on command. Work with him for a good 2 or 3 weeks or longer on this. He'll love it and you'll be practically crazy but hang on - there is a point to this.

Next step is teach "Quiet" and one time after he's been given a bark command and hand signal, has barked and quieted, now say "Quiet" the very moment he stops barking, make a slash sign across your throat with your hand and treat instantly while he's quiet. Have him bark again on command and then when he stops barking and is quiet, say "Quiet" again at the same time you make the slash hand signal and treat instantly. Keep on going back and forth and before long he will associate barking and quietening with the appropriate commands and hand gestures. Then, any time he starts barking wildly, you can say "Quiet", make the hand slash signal and he will quieten, ready for his praise and treat. Always do both each and every time for the rest of his life. It's a big lesson to learn for a dog and should always be rewarded every single time he goes quiet any time he does it no matter how old he gets.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!