View Single Post
Old 01-21-2014, 11:26 AM   #1
MiraRen
Yorkie Talker

Default Separation Anxiety... what to do?

Hi I'm new to YorkieTalk! I have an adorable little Yorkie named Penny. She's 11 months old & weighs 3.6lbs. I absolutely adore her!! She is the sweetest, calmest, most loving little dog... unless I leave her. Then she becomes a bundle of anxiety and it breaks my heart.

I am a stay-at-home mom, so I am with her 90-95% of the time. When I do leave, she comes with me and either sits in her seat in the car (when it's not too hot or too cold out), or I'll pack her in my purse where she feels secure & is content to watch the world or take a nap. ...But occasionally I have to go somewhere where she is not allowed.

We have a little crate we put her in to keep her safe while we are away. Sometimes she becomes so upset that she's alone in it, that she poos in there and tramples it all over the place, while she is frantically crying & chewing up the crate to try to get out. I have tried putting toys and/or chewies in there, but she ignores them & occasionally they get poo'd on too. We always have her go outside to do her business before we crate her, and she is completely potty trained in the house otherwise.

I'm considering adding another female Yorkie to our family because 1) I absolutely LOVE Yorkies, 2) to try to ease Penny's anxiety when we have to leave her home alone, and 3) the vet has said Penny is a social eater (A lot of the time, Penny only eats when I eat). I really would love to get a little female gold Yorkie puppy, but haven't been able to find one yet.

The breeder I got my Penny from doesn't have any female puppies, but she does have a very calm & friendly female Yorkie available that is about the same size & same age (11mo) as my Penny. This female is a more independent dog, and last May, when my husband & I boarded Penny with the breeder, Penny & this female became good friends.

So my questions are... Should I add another Yorkie to my family? If I do, should it be a puppy? Or would a dog of the same age be okay? How can I ease my poor Penny's anxiety? She's gotten to the point to where when I shower & get ready, she sits in the bathroom, curls up next to my feet & shakes.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!! Thank you!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!