View Single Post
Old 01-20-2014, 06:43 PM   #3
yorkietalkjilly
♥ Love My Tibbe! ♥
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkietalkjilly View Post
I'd get them some freshly boiled, warm chicken, put two or three pieces in each and every time the elevator dings, I would ask them to "Get the Kong" and toss one each out in front of them so that they are distracted by the toy with the wonderful smelling treats in it and it should sufficiently interest and distract them to the fun new game of getting the treat out of the Kong.

Oh, phone call, back later.
Sorry, my TV was acting up and my phone ringing when I was typing above so let me start over. Maybe try distracting them with toys and food. I'd get them some freshly boiled, warm chicken or whatever their absolute favorite treat is, a small Kong toy for each dog, put two or three pieces of chicken/treat in each Kong toy and every time the elevator dings, I would say to them to "Get the Kong" and toss a Kong in front of each dog so that they are distracted by the toy with the wonderful smelling treats in it and it should sufficiently interest and distract them to the fun new game of getting the enticing treat out of the Kong every time the elevator dings. If they do go after the Kongs for the chicken - and you must use something that is their very favorite, highly scented treat in the Kongs - then gently praise them and give them an additional treat for stopping barking and going after the Kongs.

Once they have associated the dings of the elevator with playtime and treats and stopped barking every time - they should begin to stop barking and look to you for the next game each time the elevator dings and perhaps in time you could try tossing a ball or other toy when the elevator dings and bait the dogs to go after it for a praise and treat reward. In time, perhaps just tossing a treat will be all that it takes to distract them away from barking.

Every ding that doesn't cause a bark should buy them a quick treat and praise so that they ding becomes a signal that the ding means a game and treat. Before too much time passes, they will come to adjust to this regular sound as part of their routine day and ignore it.

I would also teach them to Bark on command and then go Quiet on command and use the "Quiet" command in between Kong/treat training. Always treat and praise lavishly when the dog does quieten on command - never skip either. It's a very, very big thing for a dog to stop his barking on command so they deserve their praise and "paycheck" in the form of their treat. If you want tips for how to train those two commands, let me know and I will post them.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!