View Single Post
Old 01-17-2014, 08:38 AM   #1
celstu1
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Question Fletcher is toy possessive

Im at my wits end and afraid for my Dex. I've research how to train possessive dogs, but in my research I am finding that Fletch is not guarding or possessive of what he has. He more does not want Dex to ever have a toy or play with one. If Dex starts to play with a toy, Fletch steals it. He stalks and chases Dex until he drops the toy... 99% of the time, Fletch will squeak it once and walk away, he does not want the toy, he just does not want Dex to have it. I always thought Dex was just not interested in toys, but turns out he is, he just never could play with them. Dex actually plays fetch quite well, better than Fletch does, Dex brings the toy right back to you and drops it in your hand. He's so cute! He wags and runs after it when it's thrown and its adorable. We have taken to holding Fletcher back so we can play with Dex and Fletcher barks like a maniac and struggles to get away. Once Dex seems done playing, we let Fletch goes and he is mental getting to the discarded toy, takes it away, squeaks it a couple times and drops it.

The real problem is when they get riled up and Dex gets a toy, Fletcher lately has been getting aggressive taking it away from Dex. It happens quickly and I'm so afraid Fletch (13lbs) is going to seriously hurt Dex (7lbs). Fletcher has jumped on Dex, growling, biting and getting the toy away anyway he can. The other night was so bad I had to pull Fletch off Dex fast & furious and it made Fletch cry out loud. Of course I felt horrible, but he was attacking Dexter, I mean full fledge fight practically in my lap, all over a toy.

Any ideas or thoughts on what is going on here and how I can work to fix things?
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!