View Single Post
Old 01-15-2014, 03:01 PM   #7
Yorkiemom1
Rosehill Yorkies
Donating YT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydayz View Post
I actually like Dr Pol, it's very typical to "look" like a lot more force, because with large animals such as horses and cows, they require a lot more strength, so there is no time wasted letting the animal die. These larger animals have extreme strength to them, and so that is what it takes to treat them. I grew up with a vet named dr Jansen, and he used many of the same procedures, as I always had around a dozen horses at a time, and he was the best there was in our area and is still highly regarded. In his office, they had a small animal vet as well, just like Dr Pol has Dr Brenda. I have seen that on the show Dr Brenda has a much more gentle hand because she mostly dels witch smaller animals.

I still go to my same horse vet Dr Jansen , and it is still the same, they have. Small animal vet, and a large farm animal vet. But I don't think anything Dr Pol is doing is out of the ordinary on large animals, as I have grown up seeing many of his methods used by my equestrian vet in the same manner. It does look like a lot of force is being used on the large animals, and that's because that is what it takes to treat them, due to their size and power.
I absolutely trust my trust my vets office ad have for 30 years, they ave yet to injure even one of my animals. They are the vet I went to when I rescued Gizmo and saved his life even though he was already in a coma. I often tell my husband that Dr Pols practice reminds me of my own vet, because they use a lot of the same techniques and can treat any size animal. I would rather have a vet who is prepared for any animal, rather than a vet that nly treats one type :-) I guess that is just my 2 cents. If you were to have to save the life of a horse or a cow, how gentle do you think you would be able to be? You have to make sure that you are safe as well as the animal, and I think Dr Pol does a great job at achieving this. I just think the show is very realistic, and a lot of people don't understand what it takes to treat large animals. He shows also the realities of treating them whether its good or bad outcomes. Most shows like to make things look all perfect but we don't live in a prefect world :-)

I also loved that show emergency animal vets, I wonder what happened with that show.

I love Dr.Pol and watch him every chance I get. We saw the marathon and enjoyed it! I remember my uncles dairy farm in Wisconson YEARS ago...the vet that came to his farm and cared for his cows and horses, worked with the speed and efficiency of Dr.Pol....and pulling calves out of cows, while floored me when I saw it, that is what must be done.....and when we had horses in the '70s, and had a couple of still born foals, the vet that was attending the birthing, delivered the babies and began to swing them to clear mucus....I love watching him....and his clients all seem to love him....he does sedate his small animals for surgical procedures, no anesthesia or ET tubes....I cant see taking my Yorkie to him...but my cows, horses, pigs or MAYBE even large hunting dogs may do just fine under his care....My son just asked me the other night as we watched Dr.Pol, "Wonder what the folks on YT would think about THIS"!!!
I agree about the opportunity Nat Geo could expand on with multiple shows on the emergency vet care and the development of vet medicine/procedures, etc.

Last edited by Yorkiemom1; 01-15-2014 at 03:03 PM.
Yorkiemom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!