Thread: First grooming
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2014, 11:44 AM   #2
mimimomo
Don't Litter Spay&Neuter
Donating Member

Are you planning to grow her hair (her body) or do you want it trimmed? You NEED to be VERY specific. Pictures help. Write everything down on 3x4 index cards so she can keep it on her grooming table when s/he is working on your girl. I would also ask if s/he worked on Yorkies & toy-small breeds.

I would request a ear tip. That's where they shave the 1/3 or 1/4 of the ear tip, depending on how heavy or thick her ear is & how much hair is on there. They shave the upper part of the ear flap, inside & out & trim the hair on the tip w/scissors. This will keep the weight off the ear & help it stand. But it can still flop bc they're teething. Once they're done teething, it will naturally stand if it was meant to stand. That will be around 6-8 months or whenever they get their retained baby teeth pulled when they get spayed or neutered.

Def do sanitary, paw & nail trims, this should be done automatically w/out them being told. But it doesn't hurt to tell them, just in case they miss it. They trim the poopie hole, wee wee part, underbelly, arm pits, inner thighs, under paw & around the paw. Tell them to cut the nail as short as possible w/out making them bleed.

DO NOT let them cut the hair between the eyes (unless you want them to). Some groomers cut these bc they think it's poking their eyes. Doing so will be high maintenance, you'll have to keep trimming them to keep them from poking her eyes when it grows out. That causes eye tearing which leads to red yeast which thrives in moist places & eye goobers. If you want to grow it out again, it will take a painstakingly long 6-8 months.

Tell them NOT TO TOUCH the top knot, the hair on her head. So many people post that they tell their groomer this & their pup comes out w/their top knot cut off. I really hope your groomer listens, doesn't 4get & follows instructions, GL!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!